Advanced Typography (R) - Final Project


28/05/2018 - 25/06/2018 (Week 9 - Week 13)
Kitty Lai Yung Syn (0331933)

Advanced Typography - Final Project: Design, Exploration and Application


LECTURE 11

There are two lectures conducted this week. These two lectures experimental typography and typography in different mediums.

Typography in Different Mediums




Presentation 2
Typography perception and organization




INSTRUCTION


MIB


FINAL PROJECT

In my final project, I am going to create a typeface for Legoland Malaysia. Initially, I was browsing through the internet looking at some artworks and still figuring what to do in my final project. I accidentally saw a image or poster of an Legoland Malaysia. I googled their website and do some research on it.

I found that Legoland Malaysia has almost the same style of poster which is the logo and image(s) of the entertainment facilities of Legoland Malaysia. After that I did some research on their brand identity and I saw that, yes their logo is related what they are valued, however, does the word 'Legoland' really define what lego is? What if people who never seen lego before and they do not know what is lego? How can the word "LEGOLAND" express or define what lego is?

After having the idea, I started off doing some tryouts. I used Square (Bold) as the based font and trace the part I need it.

Process 1

Process 2

Process 3

Process 4

Process 5

Process 6

Process 7

Process 8

Colours tryout

Composition attempt 1

Composition attempt 2

Composition attempt 3

Composition attempt 4

After showing to the lecturers, Mr Shamsul commented that the part I added to the font is a bit too much. Mr Vinod suggested that I could try changing the edge of the alphabet to keep the characteristic of lego or I could also try to create a legit lego for the typeface. This is meaning, to link the bottom part of the alphabet like a lego, one pop out one goes in.

I tried out all of the three suggestions. As for the first one, I tried in different ways to create the look that Mr Vinod was telling me but it seems like it does not look like the one I imagined in my mine and I searched on Youtube and Google,but considering of the time being, I moved on to try the pther two types of typeface.

Attempt 1

Origin Square font

Attempt 2 : A- L

Attempt 3 : J - Q

Attempt 4 : R - Z

After the attempts, I think that the last font lacks of readability. The second one might be more suitable and it is clearer when reading it compare to the last typeface.

Here is the final outcome of the font:

Final outcome (alphabet A - Z)

Applying typeface:

Signage

Paper bag

White Tshirt

Advertisement


Final Project - alphabet A - Z


signage / paper bag / white tshirt / advertisement


FEEDBACK

FINAL PROJECT
Feedback 1: After showing to the lecturers, Mr Shamsul commented that the part I added to the font is a bit too much.
Feedback 2: Mr Vinod suggested that I could try changing the edge of the alphabet to keep the characteristic of lego or I could also try to create a legit lego for the typeface. This is meaning, to link the bottom part of the alphabet like a lego, one pop out one goes in.
Feedback 3: Mr Vinod told me to try applied it on other things instead of just my initial idea, poster.


REFLECTION

EXPERIENCE
In this project I have experienced more on thinking and observing. Every time I have seen a poster or logo I always asked myself some questions and answer it myself. I did this is because I know I am not a very observant and sensitive enough when looking at an artwork. Thus, to train myself to become better in thinking and looking for inspiration, I asked a lot many questions to myself.

OBSERVATIONS
I have observed that there are a lot of ways when we come applying characteristic of something onto a typeface. Before this I might be to straightforward and just applied what I saw. Sometimes I could try to be more creative, try in different ways but maintain the concept of the idea.

FINDINGS
I found that I have improved in observing typeface. I might not be very good compare to the other course mates and the other design students. I think I still have a gap to improve more.


FURTHER READING




The Compete Typographer (2nd Edition) by Will Hill


Typeface
  • normally includes a number of separate fonts, including roman, italic, and at least one variant weight, normally described as bold
  • variants that share a common width and proportion are seen as part of the same face, whereas related forms of differing width are more likely to be described as different faces within the same type family
What does a typeface contain?
  • the design of bold italic forms form historic typefaces has often taken place at a much later date and been achieved with varying degrees of sensitivity
  • the relationships between the italic and the roman, or upright, form vary considerably between one typeface and another
  • the convention is that every typeface should be designed with an italic version is a slightly later development in type history 
  • many 19th- and 20th-century typefaces in these idioms actually draw upon different but contemporaneous sources for their italics

Comments

Popular Posts