Advanced Typography - Final Project

22/10/2018 - 26/10/2018 (Week 10 - Week 14)
Kitty Lai Yung Syn (0331933)

Advanced Typography - Final Project


LECTURE 10
29/10/2018
This week is the presentation of my group. We were assigned to give a lecture on Typography in Different Mediums.






INSTRUCTION


PDF File



PROGRESS

Idea 1:
From my experience, kids are mostly forgetful sometimes and some of them might not be paying attention in class. It would be better if there is a way that can visually make the kids remember the alphabets. Most of the alphabet poster we see in elementary school has cute illustrations beside it with the spelling of the word. I thought the alphabet and the illustrations merge together is a way the kids can easily remember how to write the alphabets, by visualizing it.

Alphabet poster 1

Alphabet poster 2

Idea 1 / Sketches 1


Idea 2:
Nike has a very good design on shoes. Recently, I saw my friends sharing some photos that look like a Nike Air exhibition. I thought maybe I could try do an invitation card or create a type for the exhibition.

Idea 2 / Sketches 2

Idea 2 - Process 1

Idea 2 - Process 2
Idea 2 - Process 3
Idea 3:
I have been looking at many greeting cards of different seasons. I was wondering since Christmas and Chinese New Year is only one month away, I could do a greeting card of Merry Christmas and Happy Chinese New Year. Also, I remembered I was in Singapore around 2 years ago, I went there to enjoy my X'mas holiday with my family. That time, Christmas is not yet passed but so many of the shops are playing Chinese New Year songs. I think it would be nice if we have Christmas and Chinese New year greetings in a card. So below are some references of X'mas card.








Idea 3 - Sketches 1

Idea 3 - Sketches 2
So I was going to choose sketches 2 do be the font to trace on Illustrator but I think the contrast or the width of the font is too thin. So I rewrote it.

Final sketch on Idea 3
I chose to use my own writing.

Idea 3 - Process 1
After that, I digitalize the words.

Idea 3 - Process 2

Idea 3 - Process 3

Idea 3 - Process 4 (tracing)

Idea 3 - Process 5 (tracing)
Idea 2 - Final Outcome
I added frozen ice and snowflakes at the back to maintain the X'mas vibes. The ribbons on top of the 'M' '&' 'P' 'Y' represent present, just like X'mas present. The pattern inside each word is the Chinese word 'Fu'. An upside-down version of 'Fu' means 'Fu' comes in Chinese. 'Fu' is a word that Chinese New Year must include.



FEEDBACK

Week 13: In general feedback, we were given clear instruction on blog and prints requirements base on our exercises, projects, and final project respectively.



REFLECTION

Experiences
Week 10: This week is my group turn to do presentation.
Week 13: I was still doing my projects in class because I wanted to redo it.

Observations
Week 10: I observed lots of creative and wild design I have never thought of.
Week 13: Many people are doing their work in class. No lecture is given. The lecturers are doing the checking on some student works.

Findings
Week 10: I gain some new knowledge while preparing this presentation.
Week 13: I found that I could not manage my projects and my part-time job well because I have not finalized my last project yet. And, no more staying up late for me, I am very tired of sleeping only average 2 hours a day. I took a lesson from this semester, which is learning to manage my time well. This is a common issue for everyone but I am doing my best to handle both sides.

*Week 11 is E-learning week and I was absent on week 12.



FURTHER READING



The Compete Typographer (2nd Edition) by Will Hill


Typeface
  • normally includes a number of separate fonts, including roman, italic, and at least one variant weight, normally described as bold
  • variants that share a common width and proportion are seen as part of the same face, whereas related forms of differing width are more likely to be described as different faces within the same type family
What does a typeface contain?
  • the design of bold italic forms form historic typefaces has often taken place at a much later date and been achieved with varying degrees of sensitivity
  • the relationships between the italic and the roman, or upright, form vary considerably between one typeface and another
  • the convention is that every typeface should be designed with an italic version is a slightly later development in type history 
  • many 19th- and 20th-century typefaces in these idioms actually draw upon different but contemporaneous sources for their italics

Comments

Popular Posts