Typography - Project 1

08/05/18 – 15/05/18 (Week 7 – Week 8)
Kitty Lai Yung Syn (0331933)
Typography
Project 1 - Storybook (Mister Babadook)


LECTURE 7
08/05/2018 
We were given project 1 which was designing a 8 - 16 pages storybook, Mister Babadook, by using a software InDesign. Mr Vinod lectured us on the basic shortcut keys and briefed us on requirements for project 1.



LECTURE 8
08/05/2018 
After getting feedback from Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul, I started to sharpen my eyes and I found this is a great opportunity for training me to look at the detail.



INSTRUCTION





PROJECT 1

This week we were given project 1 which was designing a storybook named Mister Babadook. After Mr Vinod given lecture on how to use InDesign, we all started to try out in class.

 Figure 2.10 Process One (Cover)

Figure 2.11 Process Two (One of the pages)

I did some changes in my book after receiving the feedback from Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul. What I had changed, was the design of each pages as I was told to make sure the designs were matched with the cover. Furthermore, I did slightly change some of the font size so that the rhythm was shown exactly the same with the original given texts.


Figure 2.12 Back (page 14) and Front cover (page 1)

Figure 2.13 page 2 - 3

Figure 2.14 page 4 - 5

Figure 2.15 page 6 - 7

Figure 2.16 page 8 - 9

Figure 2.17 page 10 - 11

Figure 2.18 page 12 - 13





Figure 2.20 Thumbnail

Figure 2.21 Front cover 

Figure 2.2 Page 2 - 3

Figure 2.3 Page 4 - 5

Figure 2.4 Page 6 - 7

Figure 2.5 Page 8 - 9

Figure 2.6 Page 10 - 11

Figure 2.7 Page 12 - 13

Figure 2.8 Page 14 - 15

Figure 2.9 Back Cover

Final outcome in PDF File



FEEDBACK
Week 7: The personality I used for my name lettering GIF is positivity. Mr Vinod said it was fine but he suggested me to change it party-going as my personality, which suits the GIF more. Mr Vinod taught us also the basic shortcut keys of InDesign and he briefed us on the requirements for book designing.
Week 8: For the storybook, Mr Vinod said we only have to express one word per sentence not the whole thing. Make it simple and consistent. Also, we have to align the words and while we designing it, we should design it base on readability and legibility, which would be better for readers. Specifically, I was told that, I should express a word per sentence. Mr Vinod thought my cover design was good but the design of the pages inside should be matched with the covers. Try to stick in one series of design.


REFLECTION
Experience
Week 7:Today it was my first time using InDesign. It was a great experience for me because I searched for all the shortcut keys and try them out.
Week 8:Today we just only let Mr Vinod checked our 'Mister Babadook' and did some changes on it.

Observation
Week 7: I observed how my friends design their font creatively by only using enlarging and rotating the words. It gave me more ideas on how to express words by simple fonts.
Week 8: The alignment, font sizes and the placement are the most important when we are designing, even arranging the types.

Findings
Week 7: I found myself starting to love InDesign. I could totally focus on doing that! Maybe because my dream job is to be a magazine designer, that's why I was very into it.
Week 8: During the progress of project 1, I found that, the objective of doing this project is not showing how well your design but how to present the mood clearly with using simple composition and sizes.






FURTHER READING (Week 7 - week 8)

Week 7 - 8














Stop stealing Sheep & find out how type works (Second Edition) by Erik Spiekermann & E.M. Ginger



  • Computer nowadays has given access to a design language that would have been far too complicated without the aid of sophisticated programs and a page description language such as PostScripts
  • Design is problem-solving. Solving problems and working within constraints is what separates real communication design from making pretty pictures - in any media. A few obvious constraints define web design: size, format, color, type, and file size

    Comments

    Popular Posts