Packaging and Merchandising Design - Final Project


10/06/2019 - 08/07/2019 (Week 11 - Week 15)
Kitty Lai Yung Syn (0331933)

Packaging and Merchandising Design - Final Project


LECTURE 10

This week, out topic of the lecture is merchandising and visual merchandising design. Through this lecture I have learned that merchandising is the planning and promotion of sales by presenting a product to the right market at a proper time. There are many types of merchandising: product merchandising, retail merchandising, digital merchandising, omnichannel merchandising and visual merchandising.

Visual merchandising is the aesthetic display of the merchandise to attract the potential buyers prompt them to buy and eventually increase the sales of the store. To name a few examples of visual merchandising: display windows, store layout, product displays, point of purchase display and etc.




INSTRUCTION


MIB

*Our final project had been updated. We are requires to work with Interior Architecture students. We have to come out with a logo by following the brand identity and the concept of the Interior Architecture students. After that, we have to come out we three merchandise and a packaging to hold all of the merchandise of the brand.


FINAL PROJECT

Our task for packaging and merchandising design final project is to work with BIA students and from their concept, ideas, we have ti come out with a logo, three merchandises and a packaging to hold all the merchandise.

After meeting with my partner/client, her concept is about eco. From what I heard from her explanation, her brand name is Eco cube. She used a organic shape which is a cube to represent eco. As for the colour scheme of her brand is mainly blue and green. Thus, the primary colour of the brand is blue and green and for the secondary colour, I have chosen brown for the font and the overall packaging to match the "Eco" concept.

Below is the sketch / idea of her brand:

Concept / idea from my BIA partner

Progress (logo)

Final Logo

I used a 3D as the concept to create this logo. From the initial logo from my BIA partner, I understand that her concept is Eco and cube. Thus, I create a 3D logo to better represent the brand. I have used a mid brown to the the trademark this is to match the concept of Eco.

Designing Merchandises
Key chains designs
Tote bag design
Mini sketchbook (cover) design 1

Mini sketchbook (cover) design 2
Mini sketchbook (cover) design 3



Embeded Merchandises - Keychains / Tote bag / Mini sketchbooks 


Leaser cut (box/packaging)
Wrapping and sticking the boxes
Added a sleeve to the box



Corner look of the box

Added sleeve to the mini sketchbooks to hold them together

Merchandise - Mini sketchbooks 

Merchandises - Totebag and mini sketchbooks

Merchandise -  3 mini sketchbooks

Final outcome
Final outcome (flat layout)
Final outcome (flat layout 2)


FEEDBACK

FINAL PROJECT
Feedback 1: I was suggested to add a sleeve to hold the three mini sketchbooks, the box could also add a sleeve too.
Feedback 2: Mr Shamsul said that for the box I can try to use craft sticker instead of wrapping paper to wrap the box.


REFLECTION

EXPERIENCE
In this project I have experienced more on thinking and observing. Every time I have seen a poster or logo I always asked myself some questions and answer it myself. I did this is because I know I am not a very observant and sensitive enough when looking at an artwork. Thus, to train myself to become better in thinking and looking for inspiration, I asked a lot many questions to myself.

OBSERVATIONS
I have observed that there are a lot of ways when we come applying characteristic of something onto a typeface. Before this I might be to straightforward and just applied what I saw. Sometimes I could try to be more creative, try in different ways but maintain the concept of the idea.

FINDINGS
I found that I have improved in observing typeface. I might not be very good compare to the other course mates and the other design students. I think I still have a gap to improve more.


FURTHER READING




10 things the best innovative packaging design have in common by Unknown

From this article, I have learned that 10 qualities of the best innovative packaging designs have in common.

• Connectivity: the packaging is able to serve as a bridge between the consumers and brands
• Premium materials: exceeding the consumer's expectations
• Meeting stringent sustainability targets
• Integrating the latest generation of eco-friendly packaging materials
• Designing packaging with e-commerce in mind
• Perfectly adjusting transit packaging to dimension weighting to avoid shipping charge corrections
• Customizing the packaging with individual consumers
• Designing retail-ready packaging with optimal in-store locations in mind
• Localizing brand packaging
• Adding anti-counterfeiting features

Comments

Popular Posts